Guitar Riffs Music Guitar Riffs Music RiffZoo
Google

Monday, August 14, 2006

Seattle Flow

OK, I’ll admit it; my age puts me into official “Freedom Rocker” status. So, picture this scene if you will. The early 90’s come around; I’m coming out of a great 80’s decade for guitar music, straight out of the hair band metal sunset strip ethos, and then along comes this “grunge” thing I start hearing about from Seattle of all places.

Seemed like “the look” and glam were definitely out the door and, my deepest fear of all, real guitar playing. Think about how surprised I was when I had the radio on one day in late 1991, and I hear this RIFF…. one that just makes you just want to sway, rock your head, and play guitar (air or real). This riff is really cool I’m thinking, then I find out it’s this band called Pearl Jam from Seattle. Oh no, a "grunge" band! But hold on, lose your blinders and listen, because this is a very, very good groove. Almost, well, “metal-like”.

The song is Evenflow from Pearl Jam’s debut album Ten. This song is so un-grunge, featuring that machine gun-like twin guitar riff, with these screaming Hendrix-esque lead fills in between the vocals. Wha pedals, whammy bars and that chugging riff. Jimi came from Seattle too - must be in the rain or something.

Guitarists Mike McCready and Stone Gossard taught me a lesson that day. They transformed big arena guitar rock down to the power and intensity level of a club. You feel as though you’re in a packed club when you listen to it. And that San Diego surfer dude Mr. Vedder. Nothing more to say.

Open your ears and close your eyes. Hearing Evenflow for the first time gave me solace that the 90’s were going to be alright. Very different, but alright. And I hadn’t even heard Jerry Cantrell or Tom Morello yet.

Ten really set the table for the 90’s. Mike and Stone, welcome to the Zoo.

Tour note everyone, take notice. Jeff Beck is coming to your town in September. Do NOT miss this show. He is the master.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home